Sunday, March 7, 2010

Epic project fail :(

Have you ever had those sewing disappointments where the pattern fits, the toile looks ok, but there's something about with the finished product that doesn't suit you?

The last thing I tried to sew was a Simplicity dress, 2724 (the pink version without the front ruffle) in a navy blue stretch cotton sateen.

The first issue was that the bust allowance was ridiculously small - the front, which is meant to sit at the waist, barely covered my ribcage. 3 drafts later for FBA, I was good to go for the final cut - or so I thought. After carefully finishing the dress with the straightest invisible zipper I'd ever sewn, I tried it on and found that the dress made me look top-heavy and frumpy.

I've had similar dresses before and they always looked good, so I can't figure out why this one looks stupid. What a waste of fabric. I suppose the only thing that can be done is salvage the bottom and make it into a skirt.

No comments:

Post a Comment